The Bottom Line
- Beautiful photos and presentation
- Great information on river cruising in Europe and on the Nile River
- Good maps of river basins and surrounding areas
- Excellent overview of how river cruises are different than ocean voyages
- Comprehensive listing of over 400 river cruise ships
- Too heavy to carry around all day when touring
- Only a few paragraphs on each of the major river cruise companies
- Excellent planning tool for European and Nile River cruises
- Concise guide to things to see in many of the ports of call on the great rivers of Europe
- Beautiful pictures provide great souvenir to your cruise after you return home
- Most of book is dedicated to European river cruise itineraries and ports of call
Guide Review - Great River Cruises - Europe and the Nile - Insight Guide - Book Review
In addition to the information on the many river cruises in Europe, the first 50 pages of the guide provide a good introduction and history of river cruising from the first Thomas Cook Nile river cruises of the late 19th century to the vast options today. The book has a very short description of each of the major river cruise companies, but provides contact information on each so you can browse their Web site or write for a brochure.
Great River Cruises - Europe and the Nile has a listing of over 400 river vessels that includes the owner/operator, a star-rating, the year built, the size, number of cabins, and the principal river itineraries.
I did a Grand European river cruise in 2005 from Budapest to Amsterdam, and I wish this excellent guide had been available. It will certainly be useful in planning my next European or Nile River cruise!