Industrialist Eusebi Guell, one of Antoni Gaudi's patrons, bought the 50-acre tree-covered hillside in 1900 and commissioned Gaudi to build a garden city of 60 houses, decorative buildings, and landscaped gardens. The project was never completed as originally designed, but this magical garden built between 1910 and 1914 is a beautiful place. It demonstrates Gaudi's outdoor designs, and the colorful mosaics and sculptures fit in well with the natural surroundings.
The Sala Hipostila, or Room of a Hundred Columns, sits near the entrance. Only 84 (not 100) crooked columns support the roof. The stairs lead to a large open space bordered by a 500-foot mosaic bench designed by Josep Jujol. The views of Barcelona are worth the climb.