The new Costa flagship offers the very best of Costa's product. A host of exciting innovations are available on board, including an entertaining 4D cinema with sound, lighting, images and special effects that combine to create a multi-sensory experience. It also features a Grand Prix race car driving simulator-the most accurate representation of Formula One driving available, a professional Golf Simulator featuring 37 virtual courses and an expansive outdoor area complete with a putting green as well as a jogging and rollerblading track.
The ship's theater expands over three levels and features a seating capacity of over 800. It boasts superior amenities and technology including advanced "LED" technology. The ship also features a giant movie screen in the central pool area with special technology that can be used for daytime projection of video clips as well as evening film screenings. Guests will be able to enjoy this feature year-round as the lido will feature a sliding glass magrodome.
The Costa Luminosa also features the Samsara Spa, complete with accommodations that offer direct access to the wellness center as well as exclusive amenities. Costa was the first cruise line to introduce this innovative spa concept when launching the Costa Concordia in 2006. Elements of the spa's treatments and design are inspired by the meaning of "Samsara," which is associated with the path to spiritual enlightenment, bliss and balancing of life energies. A full menu of treatments based on Ayurvedic principles, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and a specialty restaurant are just some of the spa's features. The Costa Luminosa is the first cruise ship in the world to offer a Kinesis room by Technogym, located inside the gym, with equipment that may be used individually or in groups, specially designed to improve health, fitness and muscle tone.
An à la carte restaurant, Club Luminosa, features gourmet chefs preparing dishes in the "open" kitchen visible to diners, under the supervision of Ettore Bocchia, Costa Cruises' Corporate Chef and Executive Chef at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio, Lake Como. Bocchia, a Michelin-Star restaurateur since 2005, is the founder of Italian molecular cuisine.
The 92,700-ton Costa Luminosa carries up to 2,828 guests, accommodated in 1,130 cabins, including 772 veranda cabins. This makes her the Costa fleet member with the highest percentage of private balconies (68%), allowing numerous guests to enjoy superb views from the comfort of their own staterooms.
Costa Luminosa - Itineraries for 2009
The first preview cruise of Costa's newest flagship departed from Venice on May 5, 2009. She sailed a new 10-night Eastern Mediterranean itinerary, featuring a two-day stopover in Istanbul and one-day calls in Bari (Italy), Olympia (Greece), Rhodes (Greece), Izmir (Turkey), Mykonos (Greece) and Athens (Greece.) This was followed by a second preview cruise, also departing from Venice, on May 19.
The Costa Luminosa was then positioned in Northern Europe with a maiden cruise leaving from the port of Rome (Civitavecchia) on June 3 with the following itinerary - Savona (Portofino), Genoa, St. Tropez (France), Barcelona (Spain), Gibraltar (U.K.), Cadiz (Spain), a two-day stopover in Lisbon (Portugal), Vigo (Spain), Le Havre (France), Harwich (U.K.) and Amsterdam.
Guests on the maiden cruise had the opportunity to watch the Costa Luminosa's christening ceremony, which took place in Genoa on June 5, 2009, together with the naming of the Costa Pacifica.
The Costa Luminosa will home port in Amsterdam throughout the 2009 summer season with departures on spectacular cruises, lasting between 11 and 14 nights to the Baltic capitals (Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn and Bornholm), the Norwegian fjords and North Cape (with stopovers in Flam, Andalsnes, Honningsvag-North Cape, Tromso, Lofoten islands, Trondheim, Hellesylt, Gerainger and Bergen).
Costa Luminosa - Facts & Figures
- Cabins: Total of 1,130 cabins, including 52 Samsara, 718 veranda cabins, 50 suites (all with private balconies) and four Samsara suites inside the spa area.
- Restaurants: Four, including the private à la carte "Club Luminosa," and the Ristorante Samsara for Samara Spa guests.
- Bars: 11, including the Cognac & Cigar Bar and the Coffee & Chocolate Bar
- Swimming pools: Three, one of which will feature a retractable magrodome.
- Jacuzzis: 4
- Sports Facilities: Multipurpose Court, Jogging Track, Rollerblading Track
- Wellness Center: Samsara Spa, extending over two levels, on two levels (3,500 m²) with gym, spa baths, thalassotherapy pool, treatment rooms, sauna, Turkish bath, UVA solarium, cabins and suites.
- Entertainment: 4D Cinema, Theater extending over three levels with a seating capacity of 800, Casino, Disco, Dance club and Piano Bar, Internet Point, Library, Shopping Center, Grand Prix Race Car Driving Simulator, Golf Simulator and Outside Golf Area with Putting Green, Large Movie Screen on the Central pool deck
- Kids' and teens' areas: Mondovirtuale (videogame area), Squok Club (for children) with children's pool,
- Shipyard: Fincantieri - Marghera (Venice)
- Gross tonnage: 92,700
- Length: 294 meters
- Breadth: 32 meters
- Decks: 17 (13 passenger decks)
- Service speed: 21.5 knots (maximum speed: 23 knots)
- Passengers: 2,828 (total Guest capacity)
- Crewmembers: 1,050
Costa Cruises' Joint Christening of the Costa Luminosa and Costa Pacifica - 29 photos from festivities