Although much has been said about the size of the Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas, the ships are only about 65 feet longer than other Royal Caribbean ships. The increase in size is in the height (18 decks) and width. Therefore, most ports are able to dock these two huge ships. However, the infrastructure of many ports and the surrounding areas cannot support the large influx of visitors. The Allure of the Seas currently sails round-trip seven-day cruises to the eastern or western Caribbean year-round from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. However, some far afield ports like Hong Kong and Singapore are planning to expand their ports to accommodate this mega-ship.
Royal Caribbean executives are calling the Allure of the Seas the "entertainment ship", and it certainly has lots of family and adult activities and amenities. The most noticeable addition is the result of Royal Caribbean's partnership with DreamWorks Animation. Celebrity characters from DreamWorks movies such as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fun Panda, and How to Train Your Dragon are incorporated into parades, character breakfasts, skating shows, and photo opportunities on the Allure of the Seas. On the two-day preview cruise I was on, the characters seemed to be everywhere--the sailaway party show at the AquaTheater, the Move It! Move It! Parade on the Royal Promenade, the DreamWorks character breakfast in the Adagio Dining Room, and in an ice show in Studio B.
Other New Features on the Allure of the Seas
- The Allure of the Seas has added specially equipped 3-D movie screens in the Amber Theater, and this main theater is home to two shows--Chicago: The Musical, which is an adaptation of the famous Broadway play, and Blue Planet, which is a spectacle of acrobatics, music, and dance. The AquaTheater has a new aquatic production called OceanAria, and Studio B has two new ice shows.
- The Allure of the Seas has most of the same dining venues as its sister ship the Oasis of the Seas, but Royal Caribbean has added a Brazilian steakhouse called the Samba Grill; Rita's Cantina, a Mexican restaurant; The Boardwalk Dog House, a hot dog specialty counter; and a distinct dining experience at upscale 150 Central Park.
- Shopping is entertainment for many of us, and the Allure of the Seas has several shopping areas on the ship. In addition to upscale and familiar stores from other ships, contemporary artist Romero Britto has opened his first Britto Concept Store in the Central Park neighborhood, and the Royal Promenade has a GUESS store.
- Computer users appreciate the guest service kiosks in the Royal Promenade where they can print their SeaPass folio or airline boarding passes. Apple iPod docking stations are found in all staterooms.
Now that we've seen what's new on the Allure of the Seas, let's take a tour of the ship's seven neighborhoods.
- Allure of the Seas Boardwalk
- Allure of the Seas Central Park
- Allure of the Seas Entertainment Place
- Allure of the Seas Pool and Sports Zone
- Allure of the Seas Royal Promenade
- Allure of the Seas Vitality Spa and Fitness Center
- Allure of the Seas Youth Zone
- Summary and Wrap-UP