A normal driver's license, birth certificate, or other type of identification is NOT adequate proof. An adult's passport book is good for 10 years, but you will need to renew 8-9 months before it expires since many countries require at least 6 months validity for entry. Those flying into the USA from another country need a passport.
- Obtain proof of citizenship such as a certified copy of your birth certificate (from the state where you were born), a Consular report of birth abroad, an expired passport, or naturalization certificate. List of acceptable proofs of citizenship.
- Have two passport pictures made at a local merchant (check yellow pages). If you are traveling to countries that require a Visa, you will need additional photos for it. Companies like Travisa can expedite passport or Visa processing for you.
- Download passport application from State Department website
- Print copy of application in Adobe format
- Complete application carefully
- Prepare payment. Acceptable forms of payment vary among locations, but usually include check or credit card. Cost is --
- Age 16 and older (first time): The passport application fee is $110. The execution fee is $25. The total is $135.
- Under Age 16: The passport application fee is $80. The execution fee is $25. The total is $105.
- Renewal: The Passport renewal fee is $110.
- Expedited Service: Add $60 for each application
- Be sure to check mailing address when completing application envelope. The address differs based on where you live.
- Go to nearest passport acceptance facility to pay and mail. The 7,000 acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. Appointments are required in such cases.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks, depending on time of year. To receive your passport as soon as possible, you should arrange overnight delivery service for both sending your passport application and returning your passport to you.
- If you already have a passport, you can use it in lieu of a certified birth certificate.
- If you are willing to pay a $60 (or more) premium, you can obtain a passport in much less time.
- If you already have a passport, do not wait too late to renew. Many countries require at least 6 months validity for entry, so you will need to renew your passport 8-9 months before expiration.
- You can obtain a passport in 2 or 3 business days if you make a personal appointment at the nearest passport agency (in 13 U.S. cities) or use a professional passport expediting service. You will need to have tickets or an itinerary to prove that you need the expedited service.
- Comprehensive, Up-to-Date U.S. Passport Information from Other About Travel Guides
Current Passport Rules
What You Need
- Proof of citizenship
- Completed passport forms
- Payment - Form varies depending on payment location
- Time for processing