1. Travel
Linda Garrison

How Do I Get an Upgrade on a Cruise Ship Cabin?

By February 12, 2014

Choosing a cabin on a cruise ship can be a complicated task. Some ships have 20 or more categories, all with different prices and locations on the ship. When discussing cabin options, one frequent question travelers often ask of their travel agent or cruise representative is, "how do I get a free upgrade on a cabin?"

It's important to remember that there's no magic, secret, or guaranteed way to get an upgraded cabin. Like with hotels and airlines, it's often luck or being at the right place at the right time. However, here are a few things you can try to improve your chances of getting an upgrade.

Comments
March 29, 2010 at 11:48 pm
(1) Ray says:

I use the Guarantee Cabin route and yes, it works to get some good upgrades. Thanks for the info.

September 6, 2010 at 5:45 am
(2) Cruises says:

Thanks for the great information although not sure whether being a regular passengers helps with getting a free upgreade. I have been sailing with Cunard cruises for the past 20 years in a superior outside yet never once have i got an upgrade. May i should try a different cruise line

September 6, 2010 at 11:21 am
(3) Don says:

After over 100 cruises and over 20 years as a travel agent, belive me there is NO magic way to get an upgrade. It’s one of the unkown secrects of the cruise business. Even the cruise lines can’t explain it. All of the suggestions (or none), may or may not work. You have just as much chance as winning the Powerball.

September 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm
(4) cruises says:

You are all right–getting an upgrade is often very difficult, if not impossible. But, it does happen, just not to most of us. I’ve been upgraded on an international flight (once), but never won the Powerball. People often talk about getting upgraded on cruise lines, but I know it is uncommon.

I thought my readers should know some things to try, even if they may/may not be successful.

September 8, 2010 at 12:28 am
(5) Josh Friedman says:

I’ll add a twist. Who WANTS an upgrade? Often times, all cabins are really the same, with the only difference being location. And for some reason (which is not logical, just emotional) some people believe that a higher deck is worth more money (It’s not – actually the middle of the ship is the calmest). So a midships cabin on a lower deck is preferred in my book to a forward cabin on a ‘snazzy’ deck.

Once in a while, I have seen upgrades. Actually I saw a fabulous one on Princess two weeks ago. And a ridiculously wonderful one a year ago on Seabourn. My theory is that cruise lines likes good travel agencies, and reward their customers. Hotels absolutely work this way.

Josh

September 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm
(6) Alicia says:

Agree with Ray the Guarantee cabin does come with the chance of an upgrade, but dont bank on it!