Since it is located in the far western Caribbean, Costa Rica is most-often visited by ships either transiting the Panama Canal or those sailing up the coast of Central America between South and North America. Some small ships like those of Windstar Cruises or Star Clippers feature cruises that focus specifically on Costa Rica.
Although I had visited Costa Rican ports on both the Caribbean and Pacific, it just wasn't enough for me. So, I decided to take a 10-day land tour vacation of this amazing country. (Yes, even cruise lovers take a land trip occasionally!).
Click on each link below to read more about the things to do and see on a tour of Costa Rica. You might want to return on a cruise ship or a land-based vacation.
- Costa Rica Cruises and Tour Overview
- Arrival in San Jose
- San Jose - Poas Volcano and Coffee Plantation
- Tortuguero - Canal Cruise
- Tortuguero - Cano Palma Cruise
- Tortuguero to La Fortuna - Canal Cruise and Pineapple Plantation
- La Fortuna - Arenal Volcano
- La Fortuna - Rio Frio and Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge
- La Fortuna - Baldi Hot Springs
- La Fortuna - Hanging Bridges Hike
- La Fortuna to Guanacaste
- Guanacaste - Rest Day!
- Guanacaste to San Jose - Tarcoles River Cruise
- San Jose and Home
Arenal Volcano (c) Linda Garrison